Swedish forests can solve the energy crisis
Highly efficient biopower can become an important key in the energy transition. The ground-breaking technology developed by Phoenix BioPower means that fossil energy can be replaced with renewable energy while stabilizing the electricity system.
The black headlines about the energy crisis and the climate crisis are thick, and most people agree that society is facing major challenges that demand equally major changes. Phoenix BioPower is part of the solution in the energy transition. The technology that the company develops can replace fossil electricity production from coal, gas and oil with planable and renewable electricity production with residual products from the forest and wood products industry.
– Sweden has enormous resources of forest raw materials and forest waste. We can use it to increase the stability and independence of our electricity systems, says Henrik Båge, CEO of Phoenix BioPower.
In sustainable forestry, a quarter of the biomass produced becomes waste that cannot be used for high-value products. That waste is today used for bioenergy in cogeneration plants. but with traditional technology, not even a third of the energy value is converted into electricity. With the technology that Phoenix BioPower is developing for highly efficient biopower, the amount of electricity from the same amount of fuel will in principle be doubled.
– The potential for highly efficient biopower is very large. Fully rolled out and based on existing biomass, it will be able to produce as much electricity as nuclear power does today, says Henrik Båge.
Many advantages of highly efficient biopower
Phoenix BioPower expects to commission the first commercial large-scale high-efficiency biopower plant before the end of the 2020s. Such a facility will be able to supply electricity for approximately 25,000 households and district heating for 5,000 villas.
– With a number of such facilities in southern Sweden, electricity prices would be greatly affected. Compared to wind or nuclear power, biopower also contributes with important local, predictable production, and highly efficient biopower will both reduce the need for transmission capacity and increase resistance to disturbances in the energy system, says Henrik Båge.
– Thanks to the connection to district heating, biopower releases power and energy. It contributes to increased electricity production and reduced electricity consumption at the same time.
This fall, Phoenix BioPower is planning a new share issue and with new capital, technology development will accelerate even further. The company’s future looks bright.
– The external factors speak very much in our direction. The global demand for solutions that replace fossil fuels is great, and the political ambitions at both Swedish and European level are strong. Renewable electricity production must enter the system, it must be planable and able to deliver electricity when it is needed, where it is needed and for as long as it is needed. With highly efficient biopower, Phoenix BioPower will become an important part of the energy transition, says Henrik Båge.
Om Phoenix BioPower:
Phoenix BioPower was founded in 2016 with the aim of developing and commercializing new technology for highly efficient biopower. The company today has a team of 18 people and since the start has secured up to SEK 150 million directly and indirectly for the development of the technology. The development takes place together with, among others, KTH, RI.SE and TU Berlin.
The article is produced by Brand Studio in collaboration with Phoenix Biopower and not an article by Dagens industri