The supply of all the vehicles that circulate in Greece with anti-slip means, with the aim of protecting drivers when they circulate on snowy or icy roads.
In order to shield drivers from heavy snowfall, the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport made it mandatory for all vehicles to be equipped with anti-skid chains or similar anti-skid means.
Also read: “End of an era” in Russia for Toyota
In particular, by a decision of the Deputy Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, Michalis Papadopoulos, which was published at the end of March in the Government Gazette, car owners of all categories are required to equip their vehicles with anti-skid chains or other similar anti-skid means, if the vehicle does not carry special tires (snow tires).
What are the anti-skid devices that drivers must have?
“Anti-skid” means anti-skid chains or snow blankets.
Otherwise, drivers must equip their vehicle with snow tires. That is, winter tires (snow tires), which are marked with the “alpine” symbol and the designation M+S.
Since when are anti-skid devices mandatory?
As stated in the ministerial decision, drivers must have either snow chains or snow tires from October to April every year, at the national or regional level of the country.
It should, however, be noted that during this period drivers do not need to have the above-mentioned anti-skids fitted to their car.
Anti-slip means, according to the website carandmotor.grmust be in the car (and then installed) only if an announcement is issued by the local competent Police or Traffic Departments, in case the latter consider that there are special security reasons.
What are the drivers’ obligations?
- As long as the vehicle is circulating in areas where emergency measures have been put into effect by the Traffic, drivers must equip their vehicles with anti-slip means.
- They must know how to install and operate the anti-skid devices on their vehicles to ensure their correct use.
- To adjust their driving, when antiskids are used, depending on the prevailing conditions and the specifications of the vehicles and the antiskids, with a view to protecting road traffic and safety.
- The controlling authorities must carry out a visual check regarding the existence of suitable anti-skid, if the vehicle is circulating in areas where a decision has been issued by the police authorities
Installation instructions and technical specifications
- Anti-skid must be suitable for the specific vehicle and the dimensions of the tires on which they are fitted.
- Anti-skid pads are placed: a. On both tires of the drive axle of the vehicle. If the vehicle has drive on more than one axis, they are installed according to the instructions of the vehicle manufacturer.
-If there are no instructions and only one pair of skids is available, the skids are placed on the front axle. If there is a second pair, they are placed on the rear axle at the same time.
-If the vehicle has double tires on the drive axle (4 tires on the axle), the anti-skid pads are placed according to the vehicle manufacturer’s instructions or, if there are none, on the outer tires of each side.
b. They must be placed in a suitable and safe place on the road network which does not create obstacles to road traffic by taking all the necessary measures according to the K.O.K. (e.g. warning triangle at a sufficient distance).
c. They must be installed as soon as the driver realizes that the road surface is slippery and not after the vehicle has stopped or swerved due to slippery road surfaces.
- The anti-skids must be in the vehicle in a suitable and accessible place for their immediate and easy use in case of need. Since their installation requires special tools, these must be in the vehicle. The package or box containing the anti-skid must indicate the dimensions of the tires for which they are suitable so that the inspection mechanisms can establish their compatibility with the vehicle carrying them.
- The anti-skid, in order to use them effectively, is the responsibility of the owners and drivers of the cars, they are always in excellent condition and properly maintained according to their manufacturer’s instructions.
Those who do not comply with the above are penalized with a fine of 80 euros.
Write your comment