Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz died today after a long illness. The Austrian businessman was 78 years old.
THEowned 49% of Red Bull shares, to which the F1 team of the same name also belongs. The remaining 51% belongs to the family Yoovidhyawith which Mateschitz had collaborated to produce the energy drink of the same name.
The Austrian may not have had a majority of the shares. However, in essence he was the one who exercised the management of the business. Mateschitz, in fact, he was the one who decided the entry of his company into the F1 field.
Initially as a sponsor of Sauber and since 2005 as a team owner. Mateschitz had bought Jaguar Racing from Ford in 2004. The current Red Bull team is a continuation of it and by extension Stewart Racing which was founded in 1997.
Mateschitz had expanded his company’s activities and in other sports. In addition to the various extreme sports in which it participates, Red Bull has three soccer teams and a German ice hockey team.
Certainly the pride of Mateschitz was the. The team won the constructors’ and drivers’ championships from 2010-2013 with Sebastian Vettel. Last year came the return to success with Max Verstappen’s world title. The Dutchman repeated his feat this year, while Red Bull can secure the constructors’ championship even at the US race.
The Yoovidhya family have previously stated that they wish to continue Mateschitz’s work in Formula 1.
See ALL the latestthe moment they occur at