Top model, actress – and also dedicated beauty entrepreneur. ELLE meets Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Stockholm for a conversation about her love for Scandinavia and running her own beauty line, Rose Inc.
After decades in the makeup chair, on the catwalk and film, the top model and actress hasadded beauty entrepreneur on his CV.
Now she is perched on the sofa at hotel Ett hem in Stockholm and feels so much like… home!
– I hardly dare admit it, but this is my first time in Sweden. It really feels so strange, because Scandinavia has been a style and aesthetic inspiration for me for so long. Both when it comes to interior design, fashion and beauty. And also as a basis when I created my own beauty brand.
Rosie is a new mother of two
For the 35-year-old British top model and actress since 2021 is the founder of the makeup and skin care line. After fifteen years with Los Angeles as a base together with her acting husband Jason Statham, the couple moved home to England with their son Jack just before the pandemic in 2019. Early this year, the couple also had a daughter Isabella, who will soon turn one.
Rosie exudes poise and self-awareness and an air of both humility and calm. For the day dressed in a full suit from Swedish Dagmar – one of several Swedish fashion brands she raves about.
– Yes, no one who follows me has probably missed that I also love Totême. And I also admire what Ben Gorham and his Byredo have created. Scandinavia and Sweden really are and remain one of my great inspirations – it is not impossible that I lived here in a previous life, she says and laughs.
how did you decide you wanted to create your own beauty brand?
– After decades in the make-up chair, backstage at screenings and recordings, I have nurtured and cultivated a deep interest in make-up. You can say that I have collected a lot of good tips and tricks! But it was extremely important to me that my own line would not be “just another celebrity brand”, but something that I genuinely and dedicatedly created from scratch.
Take care of your skin this winter – you will avoid dry and tight skin
Rose Inc in Sweden
Rose Inc first started as a platform of the same name, in 2018. A beauty community where Rosie herself created content and was inspired by what readers read and wanted to know more about.
– The idea to create my own brand wasn’t something that came to me by someone turning on a light bulb – it’s an idea that was formed for 6-7 years until we launched a year ago, in 2021. Because I didn’t just want to put my names of products or a concept that was almost ready – I wanted to create a brand myself, from scratch.
What was most important to you in creating Rose Inc?
– Being humble about wanting to learn and also letting it take time to find the right partners. Because if there’s one thing I know now, it’s that it’s a lot of work to run a beauty brand from scratch, haha. I have been lucky and spent a lot of time finding the right partners and sticking to the line that is Rose Inc’s DNA.
– I am, perhaps not always for my own good, extremely careful with details. But it was also important to me that Rose Inc did not compromise on sustainability, both when it comes to content and packaging. All packaging is recyclable and partly made from recycled material. And all products that are in palette form are available as refills.
You have been open about tampas with acne in adulthood, how has that shaped Rose Inc?
– I have had acne pretty much my entire adult life and my profession has hardly made it much better with frequent make-up on and off. So I have not compromised on the ingredients in my own line and it has been extremely important that all Rose Inc products are pure and non-comedogenic to suit even acne-prone skin. Because I know how difficult and problematic it is!
Rose inc is sold exclusively at NK
And here at home in Sweden, the brand has now been launched at NK in Stockholm andSince the launch a little over a year ago, several products have already received prestigious beauty awards and one of the best sellers is . An airy and light foundation where the pigments are in small microcapsules that “pop” and melt into a natural and lustrous base (in 14 different tones).
Also Rosie’s creamy blushhas quickly become hype and also comes as a refill.
Are there any other celebrity brands that have inspired you?
– Rihanna and her Fenty beauty were so groundbreaking and changed the way we looked at so-called celebrity brands. And she and Fenty are so true to their DNA, I admire and respect that. What they have done for inclusion and the glam factor in beauty, I have great respect for that.